common household dangers

Common household dangers

 

Just as parents ‘childproof’ their home, so should dog owners, especially when they have a new puppy. Puppies love to chew or taste anything, especially when they’re teething, so unplug, remove or cover electrical cords. Plastic bags may be fun to play with, but they can cause suffocation. Don’t leave small, sharp, easily swallowed objects lying around.

In the garage, close washer and dryer doors – your dog might climb in and become trapped. Keep toilet lids down – small dogs can drown if they fall in.

Make sure your dog can’t get hold of medicines, shampoo, suntan lotions and other personal care items.

What to do if you think your Dog has been poisoned

remove your dog from the source of poison and other animals.

do not try to make your pet vomit- NEVER give salt water

Call the vet immediately (hospital 01274 480031)

Make a note of what poison, when it was eaten, how much and if possible and safe bring it to the vets.

 

 

 

 

General advise:

  • Store medicines and products in their original containers. out of sight and reach of pets.
  • replace the tops of containers securely.
  • keep dustbin lids firmly in place.
  • dispose of un-used medicines.
  • never give your pet human medicines unless directed by your vet.
  • clean up all spills quickly

Chocolate

milk chocolate and even a small amount of dark chocolate can cause a risk in dogs, some clinical signs may include:

  • agitation
  • excitability
  • tremors
  • convulsions

Grapes and their dried fruit

Grapes and their dried products ( currents, sultanas and raisins) are toxic to dogs. Even if a small quantity is eaten it can cause kidney failure. Don’t forget this will also include items such as christmas pudding, mince pies which have them in.

Mouldy Food

mouldy food can also be hazardous due to the presence of toxic substances produced by the mould.

Ibuprofen

This is a common human pain killer which dogs are very sensitive to and if ingested can cause gastrointestinal irritation, ulceration and it effects the Kidney.

Antifreeze used in cars 

  • Often contains ethylene glycol or methanol, which are toxic. These chemicals can also be found in car screenwashes and de-icers. They can cause weakness, hypothermia, breathing difficulties, convulsions and kidney damage.
  • Treatment can be difficult and is rarely successful.

CLEAN UP ANY SPILLAGES CAREFULLY 

Some slug baits 

Metaldehyde is the problem ingredient in some slug baits and any amount can be toxic. Your dog may become unsteady on its legs, salivate and twitch and can suffer convulsions. Signs of poisoning develop quickly so urgent treatment is needed.

AVOID PRODUCTS CONTAINING METALDEHYDE IF YOU HAVE PETS 

 

Decorating materials 

  • Petroleum distillates found in solvents for paints, glass cleaners, varnishes, wood preservatives (such as creosote) and brush cleaners (e.g., white spirit), can all cause problems. They are irritants to the skin and footpads causing inflammation, blisters and burning. If your dog then grooms the product off the skin there may be severe irritation to its mouth.
  • Fumes from the products may also cause breathing difficulties.
  • CLEAN UP ANY SPILLAGES CAREFULLY

Detergent capsules for washing clothes

these contain very high concentrations of detergents which can break when wet or bitten. This can result in vomiting, breathing problems, skin and eye irritation and high body temperature.

The veterinary Poisons Information Service

A 24-hour emergency service for veterinary professionals worldwide handling animal poisoning cases.

https://vpisglobal.com

The VPIS will be open to the public as of the 5th September 2016.

We also stock leaflets regarding common poisons in the reception at all our branches, so please ask if you would like more information.

 

Read our Reviews

Emergency
01274 480031