Common household dangers

Cats are usually very sensible creatures when it comes to eating things which are not good for them. So why do vets have to deal with cats which have ingested something harmful? A large part of the answer lies in the fact that cats like to keep themselves scrupulously clean and will groom off anything on their coats or paws which shouldn’t be there. Hence they can swallow things like antifreeze or decorating products, which they have walked through or brushed against.

What should I do if I think my cat has been poisoned?
Remove your cat from the poison and isolate other animals. If the poison is on the coat or paws, try to prevent the cat from licking itself. Contact your vet immediately and try and make sure you know when, where and how the poison occurred. If you can, bring the packaging to the vets.

Icatcare have some excellent advise on poisons and it is advisable to have a read to ensure that you can keep your cat as safe as you can. we also have leaflets in each surgery.

Dog flea treatment
Some dog flea treatments contain permethrin and poisoning occurs when cats are accidently treated or groom other animals which have been treated. Cats may salivate a great deal then may have convulsions – urgent veterinary advice is needed.

Never use dog products on your cat


Cats can sometimes find the taste of antifreeze attractive and ingesting even the smallest amount can lead to kidney failure and death. Always keep antifreeze in clearly labeled, robust containers which are sealed. Clean any spills immediately and never add antifreeze to garden water features or ponds. If you think your cat may have come into contact with antifreeze, ring the vets immediately.


Cats are sensitive to plants of the Lilium species. All part of the lilies are toxic, even the flower and pollen, which can be groomed off the cat’s coat if it brushes past the flowers. Signs to look for are vomiting, not eating and depression.


Read our Reviews

01274 480031